If you’re considering facelift surgery but aren’t sure whether it’s right for you, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
It all starts with expectations. Not only do facelift patients need to have realistic expectations about the outcome of their surgery but they need to be willing to follow the advice of their surgeon too.
One of the common misconceptions is that you also need to fall into a certain age category in order to receive a facelift but this isn’t true. Your skin’s condition and texture are far more important than how old you are.
Your surgeon will be able to tell you whether you’re the right candidate for a facelift after your consultation, with some even recommending alternative options. A reputable surgeon will never try and talk you into a facelift.
Traits of ideal facelift candidates
Facelift patients all share certain traits. Here are the factors that decide whether you’re a good candidate or not.
– Bone structure. Facelift patients need to have a strong bone structure in order to provide the necessary support. If a patient does have weaker features, they may need to consider facial implants instead of a facelift or in addition to.
– Skin elasticity. Because the skin needs to be stretched during a facelift in order to remove wrinkles, candidates need to have skin that is flexibility and still has some elasticity. Supple skin not only helps your surgeon achieve the best results but it enhances the healing process too.
– Loose neck and facial skin. Most facelift patients also want to remove excess skin from the neck and face area, while tightening and remove wrinkles at the same time. If you are looking for the same results, a facelift may be right for you.
– Good health. Ideal facelift candidates are in good health and inform their surgeon about any pre-existing medical conditions ahead of time. Having a healthy body and mind makes healing and recovery that much easier.
– Realistic expectations. As a facelift patient, you need to understand what a facelift can and cannot do in order to go into your surgery with realistic expectations. Academy Face and Body is a top facelift surgery clinic and will provide you with all the necessary information you need to help you prepare for your surgery. For example, seniors shouldn’t expect to look 20 years old again after surgery. They will, however, look a lot more youthful.
Does age matter?
While age is a factor, it’s certainly not the most important factor. Most facelift patients are between 40 and 70 years old but people who are older than 70 can still benefit from this type of surgery.
At the end of the day, consulting with a qualified surgeon is still the best way to find out whether you’re the best candidate for facelift surgery as they will be able to evaluate your skin’s texture and condition before making a recommendation. Each patient is different and your surgeon needs to take these unique circumstances into consideration before approving your surgery.