Have you ever noticed white spots or white patches on any part of your body? Did the doctor diagnose it as vitiligo or leucoderma? If yes, then you might be curious to learn more about vitiligo and how to cure it, aren’t you? Let’s have a look at it.
Vitiligo is a long-term skin condition characterized by white skin patches which occurs due to the loss of the pigment called melanin. This condition occurs due to the destruction of pigment-forming cells known as melanocytes. Vitiligo is known as ‘Kod’ in Marathi and ‘Safed daag’ in Hindi. Vitiligo as a disease condition has no significant health problems but is more of a cosmetic concern.
Let’s go through the various treatments available today to treat this condition.
Some Effective Treatment Options for Vitiligo:
Here are some treatments for vitiligo which can help you deal with this condition.
- Steroidal Medications:
- Topical creams with content such as fluticasone or mometasone are commonly used creams, which are applied daily, to treat vitiligo.
- The topical steroid clobetasol propionate is also commonly used.
- Oral prednisolone along with UVB light therapy is also a widely used method to treat the same.
- Side-Effects of Steroid Medications:
Some of the common side-effects of cortisone or steroid usage are as follows.
- Skin Diseases: Some skin ailments, such as psoriasis, lichen planus, eczema, urticaria, vitiligo, etc.
- Autoimmune Diseases: Polymyositis, Rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- Ulcerative colitis
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Non-Steroidal Creams:
Creams, such as calcipotriene cream, along with UV light therapy has also shown positive results in a few cases.
Another effective treatment for vitiligo is phototherapy. In phototherapy, fluorescent light bulbs are used appropriately to treat skin ailments. There are three prominent types of phototherapy which are mentioned below.
- Narrowband UVB (NBUVB)
- Broadband UVB(BBUVB)
- PUVA (Psoralen + UVA)
Ultraviolet light minimizes the inflammation of the skin, and it helps in treating various inflammatory skin disorders. Although this treatment can clear out the skin conditions, usually it is temporary and not a cure.
- Side-Effects of Phototherapy:
Potential long-term side-effects of using phototherapy for skin conditions include:
- Skin cancer
- Premature skin aging
- Laser Therapy
Laser therapy is another treatment for vitiligo. The Excimer laser/lamp is utilized for the treatment of the skin condition. This treatment is tested v/s other phototherapy devices, and the results are the same.
- Side-Effects of Laser Therapy:
There are some side-effects of laser therapy. Serious adverse effects, such as hyperpigmentation and blistering are quite rare and short-lived.
- Homeopathic Treatment for Vitiligo:
The concept of homeopathy in treating vitiligo varies highly from the other system of medicines. With homeopathic treatment, the major focus is on treating the auto-immune condition.
Homeopathy offers proven and the safest treatment for the cases of vitiligo that do not have an extensive spread of the condition. Homeopathy treats the early and milder cases of vitiligo with excellent success. Moderate and spreading cases of vitiligo can expect partial color formation with a good control over the spread of the condition. And, rapidly spreading cases of vitiligo may be regulated significantly with the homeopathic treatment.
The noteworthy aspect of homeopathy is that homeopathic treatment for vitiligo is absolutely safe with no side-effects.
How Homeopathic Treatment Works For Vitiligo?
The scientific and documented study shows that homeopathic treatment for vitiligo helps to achieve several beneficial results as mentioned below.
- Stimulates the natural process known as melanogenesis and improves the melanocyte formation.
- With the use of miasmatic medicines, it regulates the genetic disposition.
- Treats the after-effects of various environmental factors, such as exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Treats the aftereffects of emotional stress, which may be responsible for triggering the disease process of vitiligo (Leucoderma).
- Corrects the body’s hormonal imbalance, such as an underactive thyroid (or hypothyroid).
- Helps your body to cope up with stress and various other emotional pressures
- Implements the individualistic approach, whereby every patient is treated based on one’s unique case details.
So, if you or any of your acquaintances happen to suffer from vitiligo, count on homeopathy without a second thought as soon as possible and treat it effectively and safely without any side-effects.